Monday, November 8, 2010

Elder Jordan Keele- November 8, 2010

¿Que honda?
I'm in Mexico! The keyboard is weird, so I might type lots of weird things.
I absolutely love it here! It's beautiful. My area is called Tecamac. I have no clue where that is. We're going to the store in a bit, and I'll buy a map there. There's a Wal-mart less than a block away from my house. The ward I'm serving in is Bosques de los Heroes. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from one end of my area to the other. There are only like 2 types of houses. They're very small, more like apartments, but there are tons and tons of people here. Their driving is nuts. People go where they want and there are no rules. Most people sell something on their front porch/driveway. From food to clothes, pirated movies to paper supplies. People do anything to make money, and I don't blame them. There's a lady in the ward that makes and sells cakes and pies. She's very nice, and every time we pass she stops us and offers us a piece. It's delicious! And so is all the rest of the food. I haven't eaten anything yet that I don't like. My companion, and now all the ward, knows that I'm not a big fan of spicy food. They're very respectful and understanding. It makes everything a whole lot easier. I feel very safe in my area. I honestly could live here. It's not really that ghetto, at least compared to other places nearby like where our chapel is.
We've been told by our area president that there are thousands of ''elect'' (people that are ready to accept the gospel) in every area of Mexico City missions. I believe that for sure. We got in this area with my new companion, Elder Solis (from Tijuana, Mexico), on Thursday night. On Saturday we had the entire day full of teaching appointments. Although only 4 investigators came to church, it was a great weekend. Nobody knows how to play the piano in the ward, so I had and will have lots of opportunity to play.
Our first day we went to the mission home. It's way, way nice. And so is my mission president, Pres. Hicken and his wife. The temple, a stake center, and the MTC are all right next to each other. They call it temple square. We only get to go once a year to the temple, around Christmas time, but time flies anyways.
The mission office address where all mail and any packages should be sent is address is:
Elder Jordan Keele
Mision Mexico Ciudad de Mexico Este
Calle Fuente de Piramides #1 Piso 1
Col. Lomas de Tecamachalco
Naucalpan de Juarez, Edo. de Mexico
There it is. I get mail every two weeks, so it'll probably take some time for me to send stuff. I do need stamps, but I'm sure I can find some here. If not, I'll let you know next week.
Ha ha tell Sis. Brown hello as well, and I'm doing great! Here's something for the ''Good News Minute''--This morning we played soccer for a few hours. The first game we went to 2. Our team lost, but guess what... I scored the first and only goal! They separated the gringos and Mexicans. So we got wasted every time, but it was a lot of fun. I love soccer already :)

Before I forget, could you find out the exchange rate? I've heard 8-1 and 13-1.

I had no idea that Mexico would be this cold. All the buildings are built with concrete, and immediately when the sun goes down the temperature goes down right with it. It's not quite freezing, but I'm guessing it's no more than 40 degrees at night. During the day it's nice, probably the hottest it's been is 85. From noon-6 it's hot. From 6pm to noon the next day it's freezing. But I have what I need, so no worries.
We usually eat lunch around 2 with members. Other than that we're on our own. I love Mexican food. Our second day, the mission pres. took us to a local restaurant for tacos al pastor. One of the most famous and delicious meals here. It was really good. I don't know what kind of meat it is, other than 'pastor', but it was muy delicioso. I bought some Marias, the little cookie crackers that you got me before I left, and I'm sorry to say, but I think they're better here :)
Our apartment is nice. The previous elders left it pretty dirty, but we're cleaning it today. Our water heater doesn't work, but Elder Solis has a little heater thing. You plug it into the wall, get a bucket of water and put the little thing it, and it heats it. So we shower using a cup and the bucket. Little things like that are a bit uncomfortable, especially from what I'm used to, but it's no big deal. I've gotten used to it. We have an electric washer/dryer thing. I don't know how to use it, but we'll figure it out.
My companion doesn't really speak English. He knows some words, but he struggles putting sentences together. The Lord has blessed me so much. I wouldn't say that I'm fluent, but I do understand most things people say. I usually can say what I'm trying to, although it may not be exactly right, and it may take a little while to get it out, but the people are very nice and appreciate it when I try.
Yesterday Bishop Juarez said in his testimony a quote that I really like. It's basically this: ''Don't tell your God that you have a great problem, but tell your problem that you have a great God''. How true that is. God loves us and wants to help us learn how to get through our problems. Ask for his help and he'll give it to you. That's the message for the week.
I think that's about it. I love you, I hope you're all doing well. Serving a mission is one of the greatest experiences you can ever have. So go serve one!
Adios, les amo muchisisimo,
Elder Jordan Keele
P.S. As for all the e-mails I've received, I printed them off and I'll read them and reply as soon as I can. But it may not arrive for about a month. Idk... gracias!

No comments:

Post a Comment