Monday, January 16, 2012

Elder Jordan Keele- Jan. 9, 2011

Dear Mom,

We've had a great week here in Mexico City. I love the opportunity to talk to so many people everyday... literally hundreds. We've had some good success here, even though there wasn't much to start with when I got to this area. I have the opportunity to baptize a brother named Alberto tomorrow. He's the husband of a member, and he's finally taking the steps to be a member. Funny thing is, two of my really good friends from my generation (missionaries who enter the mission at the same time) have both been in this same area. Elder Hopkins (who I lived with in Colorado) and Elder Falslev (from my MTC district. He was E. Castillo's companion in the MTC). They both had tried to work with him and both commented things on his Teaching Registry or whatever they're called, and that was 1 year and also 6 months ago that they worked with him. It's a blessing to be helping him at this time.

Also, we had worked hard all week and didn't get a lot of people to commit to coming to church. However, we weren't discouraged but had faith instead. We trusted the Lord would prepare some one for us. Well, He followed through (as He always does), and Isabel (about 70 years old) showed up on her own to church! We had taught her earlier in the week and invited her to be baptized, but she had declined. We left her only with an invitation to come to church. We didn't think much of it because we invite every one we see to church and everyone says the same thing: "If I have time, I'll be there".... no one ever does. But Isabel did, so that was a nice surprise.

Sad thing about the sisters is that the Visitors Center closed yesterday for remodeling and won't open again until December. Most of the sister missionaries in our mission were working there, however there were a few that worked in Pachuca, Tulancingo and Tecamac where it's not quite as dangerous. The sisters are no longer in my district. It was good though to teach them once though :) They're great.

Also, I'm actually in Barrio Pradera. In my district there are some missionaries in that ward. But it's right next to my area. We go to the same church, and I've met quite a few members from there including Andrés Gumeta. But we take one 5 minute micro to go to the temple, so we're really close by. The other Elders did finally move in to a new apartment, but it wasn't the one we were planning on. They moved on Wednesday. The owner of the house they were going to move in to wasn't very... I don't know what word to use. But he wasn't really easy to work with. So they found a new place and one day later they moved in.

I saw Andrés ayer... He's not married yet, and he lives with his parents. But he seems to be doing well in other areas... he just bought the new iPhone and showed it to us ha ha. It's super super expensive here. But I'll tell him next time I see him about Trev.

It's nice to hear of your real missionary teaching experience! Ha ha what a great opportunity for you.

Oh yeah! Today, Pres. Hicken gave me and another companionship permission to go to the Estadio Azteca- 3rd largest sports stadium in the world! In the parking lot there they had a Nativity, the largest in the world. We went and took some good pictures, and it was really fun. Afterwards, we went to ask if we could get a tour of the stadium, and they let us in for free! We went down to the grass, into the locker rooms, and saw a bunch of cool things. In our little tour group was a couple from Santa Fe Argentina! I started talking to them and told them a bit about how my parents served in Rosario (I wasnt sure if you actually served in Santa Fe, although I think you may have). The lady wasn't too interested in the whole missionary thing, but after telling her that I went there too she got a little more excited. That would've been cool for me to have passed Jessica the reference to go visit them clear from here! ha ha

Way to go Dallin! Ha ha that makes me really happy to hear about that! I can't wait to see you play!

Next time you see Tommy tell him I'm happy for him :) my buddy ha ha

Jessica, good luck on the real life this week! Good luck on your talk as well. If you write it on a computer, I'd like a copy please :)

I love Derek's photos. I'm so proud of everyone back home! Have a fantastic week!

Love,

Elder Jordan Keele

P.S. Mom if you haven't already, could you take a picture of all the 6th ward missionaries' plaques outside the bishop's office before Jessica's gets taken off? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment