Monday, September 27, 2010

Hna. Jessica Keele- September 27, 2010

Sick!!! I haven´t woken up to a cucuracha crawling on my face and I hope not to!! Mom, did that really happen? haha Sick!! Anyways, Hola familia! How are you all? How´s school for everyone? It's weird to think that you´re all in school again!
Okay, so I don´t think I told you about Maria and Luis yet so this is going be a long story. I'll try and make it short. Maria´s sister, Claudia Hein, is a member in our ward and has been a member for 14 years. Obviously she wants the rest of her family to baptized as well. My first lesson here was with Maria and Luis(my second day here). Hna Peña y yo went to teach them. They are super sweet and pretty much were Mormons w/o knowing it except for the Word of Wisdom, tattoes, and piercings. But Luis is very traditional. His family is all Catholic and he doesn´t like to change that. Maria has had many signs confirming that the Church is true and especially about the Book of Mormon but really just wants the support of her husband and children. Three Saturdays ago, she had a baptismal date set but postponed it for one more week. The night before, my companion and I went to visit them and they weren´t there. We decided to wait a while and see if they would come. While we were waiting, I got a strong feeling that the following day was not the day she should be baptized. I had been feeling that earlier that day too so I decided I should tell my companion. Well, she really wanted it to be that day. So we said a prayer to find out if it was the Lord's will to have the baptism that day or if it was just us wanting to have a baptism. After the prayer we both agreed that we needed to wait one more week, but we didn´t know why. Because that´s scary to be the one to ask or tell your investigator to postpone their baptism. As we started to walk away, they pulled up so we went in and Luis still didn´t want to change religions. Maria asked to postpone her baptism one more week. (In serio, no worries! haha I´m not going to get in the habit of allowing that, but really we felt like it was the right thing to do.) So I told her we were feeling that also and set a date for the next Saturday. Wednesday we weren't able to visit them, but as we were waiting for the Collectivo they pulled up and offered us a ride home. She and my companion were talking but I wasn´t sure about what. (In lessons I can understand almost everything but on the street and times like that I don't understand much. (haha el espiritu) When we got in the apartment my companion told me that Maria had told her she got her answer and thought that the Church is not what she expected. Oi!! I felt way bad and scared. Had I said the wrong thing about waiting one more week?! But I knew the feeling that I had and my companion had too! So I decided to stop doubting the feeling and trust in the Lord. We had an appointment to meet with them the next day, and we gave Maria a picture of the Savior helping the little girl out of the river onto a rock. We wrote on it "No Temáis" and on the back wrote the scriptures Alma 7:11-12 y 15. Luis read the sciptures and after reading verse 15, I started to talk, but Luis read aloud verse 15 again. No temáis! We asked Maria again if she would be baptized and she said yes. My companion also told her to prepare clothes for Luis because he´s going to be baptized too. They just laughed. At the end of the lesson we asked Luis to say the prayer (Maria has only heard him pray twice). In his prayer he asked the Lord to give him strength to be baptized. I know that the Lord answers prayers and according to our faith all things are possible! But we have to have faith. Trust in His will and His timing! They were BOTH baptized Friday and Luis said that if Maria had been baptized before him he would not have been baptized. I believe it. Plus now, Maria has the support of her husband. :) Long story, haha, but I´m so happy for them, and I´m so happy being here serving the Lord! I love you all and hope you're doing well :) Les amo,
Hna Jessica Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment