Monday, May 28, 2012

Elder Jordan Keele, May 28, 2012

My dear family, friends, and anyone else who happens to read this,
 
Last Saturday was probably the happiest day of my mission so far. Going through the temple with the Beltran family was absolutely amazing! They´re such strong people, and I´ve learned more from their example than possibly any one else´s in my entire mission. I love them so much and am so proud of them! Just to remind some of you about them, they had consistently been going to church for about 7 years, but for government and other legalization issues, they hadn´t been able to get married civilly, and of course without that, they hadn´t been able to be baptized. They used to live in a larger city, Pachuca, and in 5 years had been the main source of over 30 other baptisms! A blessing that they so much wanted but were unable to get at the time.
 
Well, a little over a year ago up in Molango, Elder Castillo and Elder Lucas helped them with all the legal issues and were finally able to work things out, get them married, and get them their long awaited baptism. I got to Molango just 5 days after their confirmation. Within weeks, I was honored with the privilege of conferring Hno. David Beltran the Melchizedek priesthood. After about 5 months of officially being a member, he was called as the 2nd counselor in the branch presidency. Only 2 months after that, his wife Clara was called as the Relief Society president.
 
While up there, they lived between 2 and 3 hours away, depending on the mudslides and rainfall. They maybe missed 1 or 2 Sundays in my 7 months there. They both have such strong testimonies and such faith and devotion. It´s incredible.
 
Now that you know a little bit about them it just makes this last Saturday so much more special. President Hicken had gotten there early to do their final temple recommend interview, (acting as who would be their Stake President in that case). We got a nice picture just outside the temple with E. Castillo and me, Pres. and Sis. Hicken, and the Familia Beltran. Their 23 year-old daughter is named Paola and has down syndrome. Due to some other unexpected legal issues, Paola was unable to enter to be sealed to her parents, but the missionaries are going to work things out so that hopefully in a couple months they can return and have her sealed as well.
 
The 2nd Counselor of the temple presidency, Pres. José Jiménez B. performed the sealing. It was so special. Tears were at the edge of my eyeballs ready to fall out, but I was able to keep them up there ha ha. Bro. and Sis. Beltran though had a hard time with that. It was such a blessing to see some of the other branch members and be with my great friend, Elder Castillo.
 
While we were waiting for the bride and groom to enter in the sealing room, I think there was another little earthquake. The chandelier was ringing and the floor started rumbling, and then the famous words from Joseph Smith came into my head, "No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing...".
 
The Molangan missionaries explained to us that Don Chucho, the dueño of the house we lived in up there, finally got baptized last week! Wahoo! I love that place with all my heart and can´t wait to hopefully take some of you back there sometime.
 
There´s so much I wish I could tell you, but just don´t have the time, (and I´m sure you don´t either :) ). But, I´m sure we´ll have some nice chit-chats here in the not so distant future.
 
Bert, congratulations! I´m proud of you and your family.
 
I would love to sing in that choir! I´m sure if we let Linda know in advance they can work things out over there... I hope :) But if it´s ok with Linda, then sign me up! I do like the beach boys, that´d be great!
 
We have a lot of work to do still. On Wednesday, as we were told just this morning, we´ll be in a trio because there are a few Guatemalans that are coming in. Don´t worry, even if I wanted to I can´t "die" early because we´ll be with a greenie, and I need to be a good example for him. I´m actually pleased with that news. It should be a good week and a half with him.
 
Thanks to all for reading this looong e-mail, just hope it was worth your time :) I love you all and hope you have another wonderful week!
 
Hasta la próxima carta! (y última :..( )
 
Elder Jordan Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment