Monday, January 17, 2011

Elder Jordan Keele- Jan. 17, 2011

It's been an....interesting week. So much to tell, as always, but not all can be written on e-mail. Today though, as a zone, we went to Teotihuacan. Finally! It was so awesome! I loved it. We took a lot of sweet pictures, but unfortunately the computer isn't recognizing my camera. Hopefully next week. It was really the first time I saw true Mexican souvenirs here. I bought a few things.

On Friday I went on 'divisiones', or exchanges, with my zone leader, Elder Hall. He's from Salt Lake City, and he goes home in April. I learned so much from him, and he's an amazing missionary. Always excited and always ready to go to work. He taught me that I just need to take more control. We talked about specific ways I can do that, and the fruits are already beginning to ripen. We taught 7 lessons between yesterday and Saturday and found about 10 people. Unfortunately, none of them came to church for various reasons, but they're almost all solid, and I'm so excited to see them progress. We did have 5 people come to church though.

Among the 5, one of them is named Cristina. She's an elderly lady who reminds me of the grandma in 'The work and the Glory'. Her son, granddaughter and grandson, who all live with her, were baptized about a year ago. She didn't want to at the time, because she wanted to wait to do it with her husband who has a number of problems with the word of wisdom. She's met with missionaries time and time again, and all of them have tried talking her into baptism, but doing it harshly telling her she shouldn't wait for her husband, and she needs to be baptized right now! In Spanish, we call it 'planchar'. I visited her with my first companion, Elder Solis, the first week I was here. He did the same, but I kind of kept quiet. (Mostly because I didn't speak much Spanish). She told him she didn't like that. Over time, we've gone back to visit her. I've really tried to just do the 'nice guy' approach, and let her progress at her own pace. They have a piano. I took Linda's advice and offered to play them a couple songs. The granddaughter is also learning piano, and I've helped her a few times with her practicing. Well, for the first time, Cristina came to church a week ago, with out us committing her to do it. She loved it. Yesterday, she even brought her non-member daughter-in-law. She's a possibility for baptism this week, and she could use all the praying you've got :)

I did get the package this week! I received it on Tuesday, January 11th.Thank you so much for all that was in it. I got a letter from Rjay. Mom, I also got your letting about the one I sent to home from Colorado, a couple letters from Mariana and one from David. If anyone else wrote me, I'm sure it'll come soon. Also, thanks for taking precautions and putting the Virgin Mary on the outside ha ha ha.

Thanks for the missionary scriptures. I've also found it to be true that when you study by topic, you find everything relates to it. The Lord is definitely blessing us.

A man in the ward asked if I could get him a mini-quad. He said he's willing to pay for it all. I told I think they were about $50 or so. So if you are going to send a package ha ha the shipping is already covered :) He wants a mini-quad, color: green. Even if I get sent to another area, it would be easy for me to send it to him from here at no cost. But don't buy it this week. If you could just check the price and let me know next week so I can tell him and make sure he wants it.

Well, I wrote a lot of words today, and I'm tired from all the steps I climbed today. But, I hope someone enjoyed it. I love being a missionary. I love the people I meet, the things I learn, and the souls I get to help. Oh! I found out there's a Subway, and a Chinese food place in my area! Last week I ate subway twice, and they thought I was weird for wanting it cold rather than 'warm' or 'toasted', which were they're only two options. Today I had Chinese food, and it was delicious. My fortune cookie tells me ''Your long journey has come to a close. Don't expect the ordinary!". So, we'll see what happens this week.

Love you all, keep on keeping on, and do whats right at all times,

Elder Jordan Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment