Friday, July 16, 2010

Elder Jordan Keele- July 16, 2010

Hola todos!
First, thank you for telling me about my mission president. I did meet him and his wife. All the Elders going to that mission were able to talk to them the night before they left. He does seem really cool. I can't wait to re-meet them!
Thank you for the pill info as well. I haven't been sick again. I just wanted to make sure I knew what to do in case I do get sick. I don't know how I would find Jen if she came on Sunday, or what time. But I've tried to fix my pants and I'm just not skilled enough. But if you dearelder me sometime about when she's coming, maybe I can arrange for something.
On Sunday we had at the fireside, Sister Jenny Oaks Baker, Elder Dallin H. Oaks' daughter. Elder Oaks and his wife were also there. But Sis. Baker is an INCREDIBLE violinist. She's played for a million different orchestras and is a worldwide accomplished professional. It was so cool. I've always loved listening to instrumental music. I would love to have one of her CD's... that would be awesome :)
I just love learning about Christ. Everyday I read for my personal study the Book of Mormon along with other things. But lately I've been really focusing on learning more about Christ. I decided to start with the four gospels. It's amazing how much you can learn when you really try (that sounds familiar....). I also started to read the book by James E. Talmage 'Jesus the Christ'. It's really hard to understand, but the parts I do understand are amazing. It's really made me mold into a new person. After just over a week of really focusing on Christ, I've noticed huge differences in my life. I know we all can improve in that area. It's helped immensely in my assignment of leadership to know how to deal with different situations.
I've heard a lot about the NBA and how crazy it's been. I understand that these next few years may be the most amazing years in NBA history. Those who know me understand that I love the NBA, and I love talking about it and discussing different things. HOWEVER, I can't stand talking about it here. It literally hurts my stomach when others are trying to talk to me about it. I can't think about it. I'm not saying those who do talk about it are bad, but I just know for me that it's not something I should do. It's hard, but I know the Lord has blessed me with this understanding. The elders in my district know how I feel about it, and thankfully don't talk about it when they're around me. So, I'm sorry to those who want to talk sports to me, but please, it's gonna have to wait.
I just love it here at the MTC.
Dad, I want to share something with you that I thought was interesting and that you've probably already thought about, but I think it'd be good to share anyways. Our Branch President talked to us a little about the Sacrament. He made a good point about the first person that receives the sacrament when the Aaronic Priesthood is passing it. As we all know, the first person is the one presiding, normally the Bishop. But that's not the focus of the Sacrament... or at least it shouldn't be. I think that at times we focus too much on making sure that the right person gets it first (and, while that's still important), it's not for everyone to be distracted by. I guess what made me think about it is that at times the congregation looks up to make sure that they're doing it right. And one thing that encourages them to do this is when all the attention from the rest of the Aaronic Priesthood is focused on the same thing. I don't think it's such a big deal, but I've definitely noticed that for myself as a member of the congregation, I'm always focused on who gets it first no matter where I am, and I shouldn't be. The Sacrament is such an important thing, but it doesn't do nearly as much for me if I'm focused on the wrong things.
I did get my coat from the missionary mall. I heard that the consulate or whoever from Mexico was on vacation during the world cup, and that he's back now so the visa's should go quicker...I guess we'll see if that's true. Mom, thanks for sharing your funeral experience with me. I haven't read it in detail yet, but I printed it and I'll read it later. I love your experiences. They're always wonderful to hear. We're doing lots of 'English fasts' days that we only speak Spanish. And it's helping a ton.
Well, I love you all! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to be in Mexico. I love missionary work. I love growing closer to my Savior.
Until next week :)
Love, Elder Jordan Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment